How to Get Rid of Silverfish
If you see small, silver wingless insects in your basement, garage, or bathroom, you might have a silverfish infestation. If you are wondering how to get rid of silverfish in your house, Bug authority has some helpful hints.
How to Spot Them
Because silverfish are nocturnal, you probably won’t see them during the day. They like to hide in dark, moist areas. Look in areas such as the basement, attic, or garage. Watch for these signs that they are present:
- Droppings that resemble black pepper.
- Yellow stains on fabrics or books
- Holes chewed in books and paper
- Holes in clothes or sofas
Why You Want to Get Rid of Silverfish
Although silverfish don’t carry diseases or bite humans, they do present these problems:
- Silverfish shed their skins, so people with allergies may be affected.
- They can attract pests such as ants and beetles which feed on them.
- They can lay as many as 60 eggs a day. Because they are so small, they probably will go unnoticed until it is too late.
Contact Bug Authority to Get Rid of Silverfish
If you think you have a silverfish infestation, call Bug Authority at 605-472-1292. We will be happy to help you with this problem. Bug Authority provides all types of pest control in Franklin, Spring Hill, Thompson Station, Franklin, Brentwood and throughout Middle Tennessee.
Things You Can Do to Prevent Silverfish
If see a few signs of silverfish, you may not have an infestation yet. Here are some things you as a homeowner can do to try to stop the growth of a silverfish population:
- Make sure water does not have places where it can enter your home. Silverfish love moisture.
- Dust and sweep often to avoid attracting them to bits of food or dirt.
- Purchase sticky glue traps and put them in areas where you have seen them.
- Keep clothes and fabrics in a dry environment.
- Dispose of stacks of old newspaper.
Remember, though, silverfish multiply rapidly. Be sure to give us a call if your DIY methods don’t seem to be working.